Sunday, May 17, 2009

LOOKING BACK BUT MOVING FORWARD

With the economy in a recession, unemployment rates rising and job security declining...Ever wonder if you made the right choice? What choice, you ask? The choice you made when you spent years working at a job you hated or the choice to quit your last job. It could be the choice you made to major in business when your heart said broadcasting. The choice you made to give up on your dreams and hearts desire for whatever reason. I question whether I made the right choice quite often. I replay the scene in my head over and over again. The day I was laid off. Fired to be exact. I often replay that scene with different twists. Sometimes I imagine that I made this huge fuss over being let go for low sales even though I made the company thousands of dollars. I give my boss this great speech and at the end I tell him, "You don't have to fire me because I quit!" And then his boss comes in and fires him and begs me to stay. Then reality sets back in and the reality is I went quietly. Regardless of if I made a fuss or not, my job was gone. Reliving it over and over isn't going to bring it back. So now what?  If you're like me and millions of other displaced workers you have a lot of idol time to sit and think about every choice you ever made. Many times you think about the choices you should have made. We can position our feet to walk backwards for only so long. Although you may look back you should always move forward. Move forward in what you can do and not what you can't do or should have done. Unemployed? Collecting unemployment? Move forward. Focusing on the temporary is not going to help you permanently. So start focusing on what you can do in the mean time.  In the mean time, read a book, write a book, take up a hobby, go back to school, plant a garden, start a blog, go to that restaurant you never had time to go to when you were working 40+ hours a week...even if you can only afford to get a cup of coffee there, go and have fun. Whatever you choose it's your choice. This time around make the right one!

No comments: